1. Personal information we collect about you
1.1 Vodacom will process your personal information based on:
- Vodacom's legitimate business interest, when you apply for a role at Vodacom you provide us with your personal information and agree that we can use this information to assess your application, progress your application through the recruitment process, make a decision about your suitability for the role and contact you throughout the recruitment process
- Necessary for entry into, or the performance of a contract, we may ask you to provide personal information that is required to enter into an employment contract with the Vodafone company you are applying to;
- Consent you provide, we may ask you to provide information voluntarily, including for example your age group and gender. You can withdraw your consent at any time by editing your candidate profile.
- Compliance with the law, where certain information is necessary to satisfy a legal or regulatory requirement.
1.2 How we collect personal information about you
We collect personal information about you when you register a general interest or apply for a specific role at Vodacom. Some of the information we collect about you is required to make an assessment on your application to Vodacom and contact you as you progress through the recruitment process, for example your telephone number, email address, CV. If you do not provide this information then we will be unable to make an assessment of your application or contact you to invite you to interview, or make you an offer.
We may collect information about you from recruitment agencies or from the public internet where you have made this information publicly available, for example, we may find your profile on LinkedIn and contact you about suitable roles.
1.3 The types of information we may collect about you are, for example:
- Personal details, such as name, personal email address, current address, telephone number; race, gender, nationality, citizenship, disability status
- Recruitment information, such as application form (website and paper), CV, resumes, interview notes of successful candidates, interview notes of unsuccessful candidates, video interviews, references from previous employer, psychometric test results, background screening information;
- Diversity information, such as your age group, gender or nationality;
- Internal candidate information, such as references given by Vodacom, interview notes, internal transfer or promotion, succession planning documents;
- Identification information, such as proof of identity;
- Authentication information, user name and password for the recruitment portal;
- Cookies, such as performance and functionality cookies.
We may also process sensitive personal information about you – but only where this is strictly necessary to assess your suitability for the role you have applied for. For example,
- We may collect records of criminal convictions or right to work in the country you are applying to in order to perform security background checks where it is required by local law;
- We may collect information such as your age, gender or nationality to evaluate who applies for roles at Vodacom in order to meet our targets for diversity and inclusion.
2. How we use information about you
We may process the personal information that we collect about you for the following purposes:
- Recruiting people into jobs, the information you provide to us will be shared with the Vodacom company you are applying to in order to assess and progress your job application and to make any verifications required by local law. If you apply for more than one vacancy, your information will be shared with each Vodacom company where you have applied;
- Resourcing for jobs, if you register a general interest in pursuing a career with Vodacom, the information that you provide will be retained by us and searched by people who are employed by Vodafone to help us fill future vacancies. If you apply for a specific vacancy and you are unsuccessful, the information you provide to us will be retained so that we can consider you for future suitable vacancies – but only where we have collected your consent to do so;
- Creating an employee record, if your job application is successful, the information you give during the application process will form part of your employee record and will be used to administer your employment and manage your career at Vodacom;
- Contacting you about other roles, where we have collected your consent to do so;
- Analytics, we may use some of the personal information you provide for various reporting purposes including, for example, to report on our diversity targets or the type of candidates and volumes of applications made to Vodacom and related trends – you will not be personally identified from these reports;
- Screening, when it is required by law or to enter into a contract, we will make an automatic decision on the suitability of your application based on certain criteria such as your qualifications. For example, graduates must be proficient in English and have completed a university degree to be considered for a role at Vodacom, or retail employees must be able to work at weekends and national holidays. We will bring this to your attention wherever we collect personal information to make an automatic decision about you and you can contest a decision by exercising your rights (see 5. Your Rights);
3. Who we share information about you with
We may share personal information about you with:
- Other companies in the Vodacom Group and/or Vodafone Group, which will process your personal information solely and only, for the purposes in section 4.2;
- Third parties, such as recruitment agencies, test providers and others who help us fill vacancies and assess the suitability of candidates and progress applications. Where we use third parties, Vodacom ensures that there is a written agreement and that they meet the same privacy and security standards as Vodacom;
- Law enforcement agencies, government bodies, regulatory organisations, courts or other public authorities if we have to, or are authorised to by law;
- A third party or body where such disclosure is required to satisfy any applicable law, or other legal or regulatory requirement.
4. Where we process information about you
In doing the above, we may need to transfer personal information about you to other companies in the Vodafone Group or third parties located (or whose servers may be located) in countries outside of the country where you have applied, including countries outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). If we send personal information about you to a country that is not in the EEA, we will make sure that there is a legal basis for such transfer and that your personal information is adequately protected as required by applicable law, for example, by using standard agreements approved by relevant authorities and by requiring the use of other appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect your personal information. Please contact the local Privacy Officer if you would like to find out more about the way we comply with our legal obligations in relation to international data transfers. Their contact details are available under section 7 'How to contact us' in this privacy statement.
5. How long we keep information about you
We will keep your information for as long as it is necessary for the recruitment process. If you are successful, we will keep your information for the duration of your employment, should you wish to apply for other roles within Vodafone. If we aren't able to offer you a role, we may keep your information for up to 2 years to contact you about future roles that may interest you, but only where we have collected your consent to do so – you can withdraw your consent at any time in your candidate profile.
We will anonymise your information in accordance with our retention policy and may retain those anonymised records to monitor the effectiveness of our recruitment process. For example, we may create reports to understand what nationalities have applied for roles with Vodafone in the last 12 months – you will not be identifiable in these reports.